Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) Can you tell I love Cauliflower!
Updated: Aug 26, 2020
You'll love this recipe! It's great when you want to...wow your friends...I mean who doesn't love Aloo Gobi!
Meena's thoughts on subsituting potatoes vs veggies
You can always substitute potatoes for any veggie that you like! One of the best things i learned growing up around Indian cooking!
1 cup of potatoes (usually 2-3 med sized ) cut into cubes. You can put in water until ready to use (wont go brown). I didn’t use any..health conscious !
2-3 cups of cauliflower – cut into 1 ½ in size – but its all up to you! - * rinse in warm water for 3-4 min – why you say…I have no idea but it works
1 med onion finely chopped
1 med tomato finely chopped or 1 tbsp of tomato paste (I used bit of both – only coz I had half of a tomato left over)
1 tbsp ginger minced (you can use fresh or paste – I used fresh – finely chopped) – I’ve always loved ginger in my aloo gobi..so I leave it roughly chopped)
1 tbsp garlic minced (you can use fresh or paste – I used fresh – finely chopped)
Green chilies – finely chopped - optional
2 tbsp -Coriander leaves finely chopped (optional as some don’t like coriander)
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds (not powder)
¼ tsp turmeric (I sometimes use a bit more)
1 tsp garam masala
¾ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
1 tsp Kasoori methi (optional) – I got from food basic – big package that will last me forever
- Heat oil..once hot add the Cumin seeds (it will sizzle)
- After about 30 seconds add onions – saute till golden brown – don’t walk away..it may burn..golden brown doesnot equal black burnt onions !:) yes from experience!
- Add the potatoes and green chilies (if using) – stir – mix well
- Cover and cook on low to med until the potatoes are somewhat under cooked but tender. Keep mixing it and if its sticking to the bottom..use a splash of water
- Add Gobi and stir to mix well
- Add all the spices – turmeric, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala, pepper (not salt).
- Cover and cook till tender.
- Add salt, keep cooking
- Add tomatoes/tomato paste and Kasoori methi – mix well – keep cooking on high till the smell of the tomatoes is gone . (couple of minutes)
- Cover and let it simmer on low for couple of minutes.
- Top with coriander leaves and ENJOY!
Number of potatoes and cauliflower used can vary – depending on how many you want to feed!
I didn’t use potatoes at all…you can skip if you want it to be carb free!
You can always substitute (best about Indian cooking) potatoes for any veggie you like!