Roasted Butternut Squash - Fall Harvest in a Bowl!
Now that fall is amongst us and it's too cold to go out (or pure laziness on my part) I decided to make butternut squash soup. I mean what better way to spend your Sunday afternoons..there is nothing more soothing then cooking (this is coming from someone who just started cooking due to COVID)..the cozy scent of roasted butternut squash, potatoes, thyme..delicious! I didn't use any heavy cream or coconut milk..its all vegetarian...the sweet and nutty flavors are so aromatic! It's comforting, perfect for those cold cozy days! There are so many different versions of how to make this soup but my recipe is healthy and delicious! Easy Peezy to make as well! OH...AND DONT THROW AWAY THE SEEDS...ROAST THEM!! Perfect for garnishing or when you get the muchies!
1 Large butternut Squash, peeled and cubed (remove the seeds) - don't throw the seeds away..roast them!
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter (everything tastes better with butter!)
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, peeled and thinly sliced (you don't want any celery strings in your soup)
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp, fresh thyme (more for the garnish)
4 cups of vegetable broth (or you can use chicken stock)
Dash of Coriander powder , cumin powder, cayenne (all optional but I love a bit of spice)
Dash of grounded nugmeg - optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss butternut squash and potatoes in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper ( you can also add your favorite spices)
3. Toss the mixture on a large baking sheet. Make sure they are not on top of each other to roast evenly.
Roast until tender...usually takes 25 minutes.
Roast the seeds( spread them on a baking sheet..do keep an eye on them ..you dont want to burn them! Normally I would roast them at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes but since we already have the oven going we might as well multitask!
4. While the butternut and potatoes are roasting, In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter, and the remaining olive oil. Add onions, carrots, celery for about 8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, coriander & cumin powder, cayenne pepper powder and nutmeg. Mix well
5. Add the roasted butternut squash and potatoes, mix well
6. Add the vegetable broth
7. Let it all simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
8. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy.
9. Garnish with thyme and the roasted seeds.
Experiment..try different spices, or use coconut milk instead of veggie broth! World is yours to discover!