Fried Tofu with broccoli and mushrooms - it's all about the mindset!
OMG...this was a random conversation with a friend on what to do with the tofu I bought at Costco! This randomness turned into a delicious meal with a touch of Meena! Fried tofu with broccoli and mushroom but you can use any veggies you want and of course we (okay I) added a beautiful Shiraz as a garnish! Not only I've become a chef in my own mind but the creations make me understand what cooking is all about! I'm surprised I didn't this part of me sooner...thanks COVID!! I'm aww'ed at what is possible if you set your mind to it! I used maple syrup so it wasn't as dark but you can also use dark brown sugar! Vegetables - use can use whatever your heart desires but don't play with the sauce...it can be used with so many recipes! sooo yummy! You can also replace the tofu with meat!
1 large head of broccoli - cut into small florets
Handful of mushrooms - sliced
2 medium size red Thai chili peppers – sliced on an angle
2 scallions – sliced on an angle
1” ginger – grated
2 garlic cloves – minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar or pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. tahini (or peanut butter)
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 ½ tsp cornstarch plus ¼ cup cornstarch
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
¼ cup Vegetable oil plus more
Serve with steamed rice or cauliflower rice.
Tofu – drain and pat dry then cut into cubes set aside
Sauce (best sauce ever)
Whisk together – ginger, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar or maple syrup, tahini, rice vinegar, sesame oil, 1 ½ tsp cornstarch, salt and 4 tbsp water(may need more) – set aside
- Sprinkle the tofu with salt and cornstarch – make sure it’scoated well.
- In a wok – heat vegetable oil – add broccoli for about 4 minutes, add mushrooms, red chili peppers, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, garlic powder – sauté for about 3 minutes then remove from heat and set aside
- Fry the tofu so that its golden brown but not burnt (time can vary ..dependent on your stoves) - I did this in a frying pan but you can also fry in a fryer) – need it to be crispy.
- in the same wok without the veggies and tofu…add oil, and add the sauce. Bring it to a boil…add the tofu and the vegetables and mix well.
- Garnish with the scallions and sesame seeds – toss
This was soooo good without the rice but if you want you can have it with steamed rice or cauliflower rice and ENJOY with a nice glass of wine!
You have to experiment with different veggies , can even add meat instead of tofu but the sauce is what gives it the best flavor and can be used in sooo many recipes!!!